Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Not Normal

I've always been the kind of guy who likes to be a little off normal. Sometimes, I actually make an effort to not be normal, other times it just sort of happens. If I completely explored what is it about my personality that makes me "not normal" we could be here for a while. So, we won't go down that road. But, one of the things that Tracy and I decided a long time ago is that we need to do things occasionally to break out of our routine, we need to be willing to be a little spontaneous and have a little fun.

So many times, we get stuck in our daily routine and just miss some really fun and incredible opportunities. So, Monday night, Tracy and her friends Valerie and Landis spent the night at the new Krispy Kreme store in Fuquay-Varina. They were about 35th in line, landing them a ticket for free doughnuts for a year!! Woohoo!!

I'm also trying to step outside of my comfort zone. This sounds a lot more boring and closer to normal, but I'm going to give it a go this year for planting a garden. I'm pretty excited to see how this works. We have an acre yard, so there's plenty of space, and I'm excited to see what happens. I'm going to grow tomatoes, peppers, squash and a few other veggies! Who knows, we may need to grow our own stuff to survive in the near future, so this might be good practice.

It's fun to try new things, even if I am horrible at gardening it will be a really great experience! I think we all need to take this approach sometime in our walk with the Lord. At church, many times we fall into a rut of doing the same thing over and over and fail to step out in faith to see what we might be able to experience if we are willing to try new things.

Sometimes, we struggle with whether the idea of what we are thinking about is an idea from me or an idea that God has planted in me. Here are a few questions to consider as you try to determine if God is leading you to do something or if it's just a hairbrain idea that you came up with when you weren't paying attention to the sermon one Sunday (these were borrowed from a pastor named Perry Noble):

1. This thing that you believe you are called to do by God will not contradict God’s Word!

2.
You can’t get away from this thought…it dominates your thinking and the more you marinade on it the more you feel like you might explode.

3. Godly people in your life affirm it. (Proverbs 15:22)

If the thing your thinking lines up with these three statements, go for it!! Don't be scared, don't be afraid of change or what people might say to you or about you, just follow the leading of God. He will lead your steps, he will lay out the path in front of you and lead you in His way according to His plan.

No comments: